Sunday, January 28, 2007

Campbell says she's no witch
George Rush and Joanna Molloy Star Talk
Naomi Campbell called the other day -- no jokes about flying cell phones, please. The supermodel was a perfect lady, even as she made her complaints about newspaper stories in Brazil, England and here that she is interested in Brazil's African-based Candomble religion, which has rituals some have likened to witchcraft.

"I'm Church of England, Protestant. I was christened that," Campbell told us. "I went to a party for a guy whose birthday it was (Candomble priest Tuca Franchini).

"I don't discriminate against what religion people have. That's what he does, but it doesn't mean I have to be involved in it."

But Franchini told the press three years ago that Campbell had gotten tickets for him to a Macy Gray concert. Said Campbell: "I got 35 tickets for people, and I did the same thing for U2 and Lenny Kravitz.... I gave them to my girlfriend, and I don't know who she invited.

"I went to Rio last week for a meeting for Fashion Rocks, which will be there April 7. I'm on the committee. And I'm doing a documentary with Quincy (Jones) there. I was in Rio for 24 hours.

"I didn't know I was going to be made an ambassador for Rio at all. I was totally shocked when the mayor did offer that. I do have a charity there, 'We Love Brazil.' It's to help people in the favelas (ghettos). The women make crocheted fabrics, and designers from Brazil use them.

"It's been raining in Brazil for 26 days and hundreds of people have lost their houses. The charity gives to people who don't have anything."

We asked Campbell if it wasn't true that she clashed with a videographer.

"The video photographer, when I walked in, put the camera right at my head, so I told him, 'Don't hit me in my head.'

"I was at the party for an hour and 15 minutes, and I was on the dance floor. I wasn't hiding in a room."

The stunner, who was represented by top lawyer David Breitbart and has until May 21 to complete five days of community service for tossing a cell phone that hit her maid's head, told us:

"I'm remorseful and regretful. I'm trying to live my life and do some things for charity. I'm taking my punishment, and I accept that. I've accepted my responsibility and that's that. I have no idea what 'community service' I'll do. Whatever they tell me to do, I'll do with my integrity, and that's it."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home